15 May 2013

NSS Poster competition

As part of my professional and portfolio development I have been looking out for competitions and briefs as well as working on my main practice. I came across this call up to design the National Student Survey poster and felt it was a great opportunity. 

NSS, National Student Survey, competition, 2013, 2014, entry, nus, protest, propaganda, vintage, textured, graphic design, craft, art, be heard
CLICK THROUGH


One of the things that stood out to me about this opportunity was that it would give me free rein to express my style but also give me good experience in producing work with a very defined purpose and message. Another thing was the fact that the winner would get the chance to work with a top London design agency to develop and bring the work to press. As I was jetting off to Tokyo only a few days after coming across this I had to work fast but I am nonetheless happy with what I produced.  

Poster:


NSS, National Student Survey, competition, 2013, 2014, entry, nus, protest, propaganda, vintage, textured, graphic design, craft, art, be heard
Flyer:


NSS, National Student Survey, competition, 2013, 2014, entry, nus, protest, propaganda, vintage, textured, graphic design, craft, art, be heard


My idea for this design was to create something that very much linked in with my own practice, style and ethos. I wanted something that would stand out and encourage participation whilst also connecting to the idea of students having the power to change their university for the better. I used a propaganda like style which I felt would re-enforce the idea of protesting, free speech and standing up for your right which is something my practice is looking at and also popular with the student population. 

I also wanted to give this design a vintage feel, that it is an old and worn poster passed down through the generations of student having a say about their education. It also relates to the ideas within my practice about authenticity and realism instead of the sterile and sanctioned messages. 

I really feel here I have brought my ideas and techniques together with the brief to produce something that not only works to communicate the intended messages but represents my style and ethos too and makes me confident in my ability to do this as a career. 

Posts You Might LIke