15 Oct 2014

MA Show... The Fragility Of Normality.

After 2 years of hard work, stress and deadlines my MA was finally coming to an end and although I am relived to have it all over and done with I am also sad that this great adventure is ending but I now have my sights set on the future and all the opportunities and challenges that lie ahead. Here is my installation which I created for my MA show entitled "The Fragility Of Normality". 



It is an Installation in a defunct lift shaft space involving 50 hanging photographic prints, created using cross processed slide film and left inside derelict spaces for a few weeks. Then on the walls surrounding I have 3 large double exposure photographs again taken on film using a panoramic camera. Torches in the corners of the room to light the space and discover the work. As well as a live feed from the space displayed on the 1st floor along with my letterpressed manifesto and poster.

This is my write up for the catalogue:
My work is about questioning normalities, breaking the status quo and seeking the misplace. It is about encouraging the individual narrative and a breaking out of the way in which the city and modernity control our lives through distraction and fear. It is about promoting discovery and exploration of our cities, our worlds and our potentials. My work speaks about taking the side street instead of the high street and discovering the real city for yourself, in taking your own journey and making your own interpretations. Of seeing the richness of textures, faded memories and lost messages which the modern metropolis censors. In getting lost on purpose and the authenticity of individual experience, rejecting the hand holding of modernity both home and abroad. It is also about the idea of risk taking and the safety net we are encouraged to invest our time and lives into. In exposing the fragility of that safety net and it’s fraudulent nature. I explore places such as derelict factories and mills, once the epitome of the everyday entrapment they become our escape from it. These modern ruins existing behind the façade of the modern city, being real and yet not part of reality. Transformed from the banal grind of existence into spaces of uncanny serenity within the flux of the city. Rushed past in the haze of distraction, or investigated as the entrance to a lost world of possibilities, a passage way to another space of existence outside of normality and the start of a journey of escape.






























Posts You Might LIke