10 Jul 2013

BURO 1.5 - MMU School Of Art Publication - Submission.

I have again been involved in the development of the publication Buro along with my fellow MA D&AD students. Seeing as it was over the summer period and so we were all quite busy we decided to produce 1.5 as a smaller mini issue based around the idea of "Holidays" which connects to a lot of my interests. 


screenprint, postcard, manchester, buro, buro 1.5, mmu, manchester school of art, publication, self printed, self publicised, zine, urbex, victoria arches, holidays, travel, exploration


We decided originally we would be screenprinting this edition of BURO by hand using the facilities at the uni and I was heavily involved in this printing process which for me was great as I love screen printing. However we had a mountain of prints to do and an order in which to do them which meant I didn't actually end up printing any of the black ones (including mine) which ended up being left to less experienced screen printers resulting in the finer details being lost. We decided therefore to finish off the black prints on the Risograph. 


screenprint, postcard, manchester, buro, buro 1.5, mmu, manchester school of art, publication, self printed, self publicised, zine, urbex, victoria arches, holidays, travel, exploration


We also have a facebook page where we have placed our designs and a little explantaional paragraphy. This page is available here https://www.facebook.com/buromcr if you would like to view the other submissions. 

The official launch date is not set just yet but it has now been put back to around mid September due to the complications with the printing process. It will once again be being distributed for free around Manchester and also further afield hopefully. 


screenprint, postcard, manchester, buro, buro 1.5, mmu, manchester school of art, publication, self printed, self publicised, zine, urbex, victoria arches, holidays, travel, exploration
It was also decided that we would be printing in single colours with a choice of black or a mixture of red, orange and green. I decided mine would work best in just black as to keep with the atmosphere of the image. If you would like to see my original piece and my ideas behind it the link is here:

Once again my logo which I created for the first edition of BURO has been used and then put together by Kate for the front cover (Above). 


screenprint, postcard, manchester, buro, buro 1.5, mmu, manchester school of art, publication, self printed, self publicised, zine, urbex, victoria arches, holidays, travel, exploration

Being postcards we also needed a back which we wanted to have a vintage postcard style, the above piece was designed by fellow contributor Frau Lorenz 

Keep an eye out for these popping up here and there in cafes, bars, galleries and art centres all over Manchester, Liverpool and beyond. It is a shame they were not ready before I travelled to New York as it would have been great to leave some there. 

I also feel that my development with this idea is not over, especially seeing as my original idea was a two tone piece and so feel this is something I will likely be coming back to as part of my practice and interest in how it related to travel, so look out for that too. 

Posts You Might LIke